Tuesday 27 July 2021
Sunday 25 July 2021
So... I don't actually have a fuel pressure problem I think - the fuel pressure gauge shows 3.8bar with fuel pump on/engine off, holding at 2.8bar for hours after.
Anyway, I'd ordered a new fuel filter off amazon which should arrive tomorrow, so spent today getting thte old one off.
Monday 19 July 2021
Checking past work... is my new fuel pump bad or something else? 996 fuel pump low pressure and flow quantity
On another cold rainy lockdown day, decided to run some basic tests to see if the work I've done so far is OK.
1) Vacuum test - unable to detect any leaks (will talk more about my homemade smoke machine later if I feel like it!)
2) Removed airbox, restart - no good
3) Removed airbox, removed drive belt, no good
4) Replaced everything except MAF, no good
5) Replaced everything and bypassed fuel pump relay with jumper wire - no good
6) Swapped MAF for a dodgy cheap yum cha china MAF bought from aliexpress - no good. Put back the Bosch unit
7) Swapped in two spare car batteries from my other cars - no good.
Then thought I might as well check the new fuel pump.
- Check fuel filter - just ordered a replacement part, only $35 delivered for a Mahle filter, but won't arrive for a week. Change it out, then recheck pressure and flow. Try starting car.
- If still no good, check for low voltage to fuel pump (should be at least close to 12V). Perhaps a bad ground, loose connection, or bad wiring. Or maybe the voltage is fine.
- Obstructed fuel lines - visually check as much as possible for any crimps, bends, folds etc that would obstruct flow.
Saturday 17 July 2021
Welcome to lockdown #5 in Victoria, thanks to Glady's royal f#ckup with NSW "gold standard" contact tracing and quarantine.
Anyway, done some minor work in the last few weeks.
Pulled both exhausts off in preparation to a major service - replacing spark plug tubes, spark plugs and coilpacks. Might as well polish the exhaust tips while mufflers are off. Easy to remove - 17mm bolts on the cross pipe, and 13mm bolts x3 holding the muffler on.
So the other day noticed a huge amount of white smoke when starting the car cold, and a very high idle (1500rpm) when in neutral or park. R...
Porsche 911 (996 and 997) convertible cabriolet roof fix. Not opening or closing due to hydraulic fluid leak repairs DIY fixDuring 2019, the roof in the 911 was getting slower to open and close. Checking the hydraulic fluid reservoir, it was slowly dropping indic...
Porsche 911 996 fix low battery charging voltage problem - replacing starter-alternator Y cable, changing drive beltSo another annoyance I had was that my 911 would charge the battery at 14V when I initially started the car, then as it warmed up (after abo...
So the other day, was driving the trust cayenne home from work and got yet another fun fault message which never sounds like a good thing i...